One-year MA in Russian and Eurasian Studies (IMARES)
Duration: 1 year
Workload: 60 credits
Next start: September 4, 2017
Application deadline: April 30, 2017
One-year intensive IMARES Master’s degree program focus on Russia and the post-Soviet area. This comprehensive program allows you to study Russia and the whole Eurasian area in all aspects from history, politics and economics to culture and the arts. This is the oldest and still the only program in Russia that gives you the opportunity to
- get an MA in Russian and Eurasian Studies in one year;
- select the courses by the leading Russian and international professors and experts in the field;
- design your own individual program from the broad course catalogue;
- study in English language;
- learn and improve your Russian;
- enjoy the life in St. Petersburg - the old imperial capital of Russia.
For centuries Russia (or Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, the New Russia) continues to be one of the European edges - often challenging, sometimes scaring, usually encouraging, and always fascinating with its political and artistic experiments, its beauty and its deep and enigmatic soul. Join IMARES to discover it.
Together with other international students at lectures and seminars, guest lectures and IMARES workshops you will study and discuss a variety of topics, including foreign policy and security issues in Russia and forme Soviet-Union respublics, history and current events, development and nation-building, political regimes and reforms in Russia, Central Asia and the Caucasus.
IMARES program is an excellent foundation for your career in public service, academia and business.
BA degree. No prior knowledge of Russian is needed.
In terms of backgrounds and prior experience, IMARES students are often as diverse as the topics they study at the EUSP. Whether you are a historian, political scientist, sociologist, journalist or language specialist, studying at EUSP will give you the opportunity to broaden your horizons and gain new perspectives in career. Our courses are accessible to students of all backgrounds, the chance to engage in academic discussions with other students from different countries, cultures, and academic fields will offer fresh perspectives on the topic at hand.
You may start IMARES twice a year. The fall semester starts at the beginning of September. The spring semester starts at the beginning of February. You may choose whichever start date best suits your needs.
Admissions continue on a rolling basis. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Due to a somewhat lengthy Russian Study Visa issuing process we ask to send the completed application form no later than
April 30, 2017 for enrollment in Fall Semester 2017
October 30, 2017 for enrollment in Spring Semester 2018
In case you miss the deadline, please write to us to discuss the possibility of late application.
There are 3 easy steps to apply for IMARES program at EUSP:
- Complete the Application form
- Send us all required documents
- Receive notification of acceptance/rejection
- Scanned copy of your Passport. Your international passport validity period must be at least 6 months following the date you are planning to leave Russia on completing the program (e.g. if you intend to stay in Russia until June 30, 2018 your passport expiry date shouldn't be earlier than December 30, 2018)
- Scanned copy of your Bachelor's degree diploma (or documentation that proves you will receive your diploma this year)
- Scanned copy of your Academic Transcript
- Your Statement of Purpose (about 500 words, including statement of goals, research interests and experiences, including the subject of your bachelor thesis)
- Two letters of recommendation from academics who are closely acquainted with your academic work
- Your Curriculum Vitae